Our 2018-19 theme for GT is "Community: Making It Matter." We will examine this theme throughout the fall semester with a focus on the following skills:
As always, we will continue to incorporate higher level thinking skills through the use of Sandra Kaplan's depth & complexity icons and interdisciplinary connections.
- A community has members
- Community members share a common environment
- Communities follow patterns of growth and change
- When one community comes in contact with another community, change may occur
- What is community?
- What are the individual’s responsibilities to the community?
- What are the community’s responsibilities to the individual?
- In what way can communities influence possibilities for future generations?
Our spring semester goal will be for students to continue developing their fall group project or to develop an in-depth individual project on a topic of great interest. Students will be given class time for project work in groups or as individuals, and may also spend outside time working on their projects if they so choose. There are three main criteria for these projects: New Learning for each student, a demonstration of Creative Thinking (either in the product itself or in the display of it), and Higher Level Thinking (analysis, depth and complexity, etc). If students are not enjoying the projects they have selected, then they have chosen the wrong topic!
World Peace Game
Each 8th grade class will participate in an amazing problem solving activity called "The World Peace Game." Please click the link to read more: http://worldpeacegame.org/the-game/
GT Materials Needed in class each week:
Students need to bring a pen or pencil, iPad, and notebook to class each week.